- Risk of COVID19 new cases rising as Omicron BA4 and BA5 variants spread
- Mask Mandate could be revived if hospitalizations and excess deaths number surge
- Biden Administration is lifting requirements that all travelers test negative before boarding
1. England COVID-19 Status quo - The hospitalization is up 33% week on week in England, while the death rate is up 8%. Bed occupancy is up by 12% according to Twitter@COVID10actuary.
2. Death Rate and Severe Symptoms - BA4 and BA5 death rate could be higher than BA2 due to L452R factor. L452R is one of the factors in COVID-19 (Delta) which could lead to severe symptoms. According to Dr. Deepti Gurdasani (Twitter @dgurdasani1) summary, during South Africa wave of BA4 and BA5, the excess deaths increased a lot, 29,500 excess deaths since Jan (omicron wave) and a peak of 1,844 excess deaths during BA4 and BA5 wave.
3. USA COVID-19 Status Quo - Surging BA4 and BA5 variants in US as well according to Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding (Twitter: @Dr. EricDing). Omicron BA1 is already close to elimination.
4. US CDC COVID-19 Statistic - According to CDC, BA4 and BA5 appears to be taking over in the US and could soon become the dominant strains in the US.
Having been considering above key factors, it is recommended that:
- Make sure you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines before you travel internationally.
- Check your destination’s COVID-19 situation and travel requirements before traveling. Countries may have their own entry and exit requirements.
- Before boarding a flight to the United States, consider getting tested for current infection with a viral test as close to the time of departure as possible (no more than 3 days) before travel.
- Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth is recommended in indoor areas of public transportation (including airplanes) and indoors in U.S. transportation hubs (including airports).
Please protect yourself, kids, senior citizens, and those who are immunocompromised.